Dinka Cattle Camp

Dinka Cattle Camp

Saturday, June 12, 2010






10th June Thursday

Well I am now the proud owner of a goat!! Quite a large goat. I was busy on the ward doing some teaching when one of the nurses came looking for me; she was very excited saying there is someone to see you. I went outside and there was a little boy with a goat who said it was for me (in Dinka).

When I got a nurse to translate, it was a present to me, from Juma, the paraplegic former soldier who lives in the hospital. He wanted to say 'thank you' for all the gifts he has received from everyone in Australia, Joan the bootees you gave for his pressure sores on his heels, the dressings, tee shirt, Vitamin pills and a few other things. It was so kind of him as he is the one that needs the meat not me, but it was a gift and I could not say no. So we have a few pics to show you.

I did not know what to do with it, so I left the hospital with my goat and the little boy and went down the road to the compound. Luckily we found the gate man and tied it up near the kitchen under a tree with lots of nice green grass.

I headed back to work after giving the boy Majak some coloured pencils. It was strange being the owner of a goat - I have only had rabbits and guinea pigs before!!

After work Dr P wanted to meet ‘Felicity’, but as we were approaching her, she got scared and broke her rope. She headed off across the compound past some of the men sitting having tea. I was shouting to them to catch the goat but they just sat and laughed, as P and I ran after it. My concern was the gate was open and if she got out she would go back home.

I called to the gate keeper who made a dive for her; he missed and Dr P did the same - all the time I was running for the gate. I made it 1 second before Felicity did. We had her. My poor knees - I have never run like that for years. I guess you had to be there. All the children who collect water at the pump just outside the compound were all laughing; they thought it was so funny to see two white women running after a goat.

Poor thing it cried all night, so it was decided her number is up and she is for the pot on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment