Dinka Cattle Camp

Dinka Cattle Camp

Friday, June 11, 2010

The "Liberty Loo" (new latrine block) progresses (part paid for by a generous donation from Liberty Mutual, a company Ian works for).
It is almost finished, it has taken a long time as the builders went back to Uganda during the recent election in Sudan as they thought there might be problems - fighting, so have just returned this week.
Don’t forget they first have to make the bricks. Thank you Liberty!! Will send more pics as and when.



Tuesday 8th June
The compound was just so flooded this AM, I could not go up to the hospital until later as I had no gumboots. It’s a good job I flew in yesterday; they would not have been able to get through from Rumbek today.

I had a good morning sorting out all my bags. Things for the hospital, things for teaching, things for dressings.

I then set about my list of things to get in the market. Beer top of list for the fridge, fly swatter - don’t think I will be able to get that but we will see. An orange powder which helps make the water taste a little better. I will keep adding.

Handed over the phenobarbitone into the pharmacy so let’s hope it will last a little while, as it is only for the patients that are fitting with cerebral malaria.

I wander around to catch up with the nurses and met three patients who were still in hospital from last year. I think two had been discharged but returned. The other is soldier who is a paraplegic with the terrible pressure sores. He lives at the hospital. Not seen his wounds yet......

A lady who had her leg amputated last year after osteomyelitis (a result of bone infection) - she had a fall and damaged her stump, so has returned. She was so pleased to see me, and just wanted me to take her photo. Usual reaction.

The last one I will see tomorrow, a boy about 10 years old who fell out of a tree about July 2009: a small cut originally on upper right arm developed into osteomyelitis. Now very bad large wound with large sinuses despite lots of visits to theatre to clean it out... I thought perhaps some of the silver dressings I have with me may help these mix of wounds, we will see.

P and I sat down and worked out my teaching sessions for the next 6 weeks or so. Only about 4-5 hours a week face to face so it will give me time to do lots of practical teaching on the wards.

This year there are a few more volunteers, two Slovakian Drs over for 3 months and a young Italian nurse who has only been here a few weeks, so is still feeling a little shell-shocked as it is her first visit to Africa. It’s great for the hospital having all this extra help.

No comments:

Post a Comment