Dinka Cattle Camp

Dinka Cattle Camp

Sunday, July 4, 2010


Pipes for sale


Cleaning out-patients dept

Wednesday 7th July

We are hearing the Bishop may be coming next week, perhaps on some official business, but I think that he is going to bless the new medical ward (not yet quite completed), and may even give his blessing to the new latrine block, which I think will be in use very soon (the “Liberty Loo”).

A lovely man, I am looking forward to meeting him again. A man with such warmth, dignity and understanding of the Sudanese people.

Sister Pauline never ceases to amaze me how she continues to work so hard in this very unforgiving environment. She is the quiet achiever; some nights, while we are all sleeping, she is up at the hospital delivering babies through difficult births, bilateral episiotomies, breech births, you name it, she does it.

The only light is a small spot light; the only water is in a bucket, the only cloths are rags. This girl is a miracle worker. All mothers and babies are doing well. Her days are full to the seams too. And always, she has time to check on any staff that are sick, or put some flowers in the rooms to welcome the new Dr’s. Her standards never slip. My admiration for her work, dedication, and generosity is overwhelming.

Doing a lot of teaching just now, so full on. Just finished and it's now 6-30pm. My subject was 'Bones', so my skeleton I brought last year came in very well. But it is needing a little repair, perhaps Ian could bring some fuse wire and a small pair of tweezers or small pliers which might do the trick - the legs have come off, poor man. The students liked the story about me bringing it over last year and being 'found out' at Nairobi airport!!

No comments:

Post a Comment