Dinka Cattle Camp

Dinka Cattle Camp

Thursday, July 15, 2010


Team Australia

The vanquished & the Bishop

Sudan v Australia










Sunday 11th July

E----, Pauline, and I all met up at the hospital to clean up after our ‘clean-up’ party; it’s strange that you can have so many people at a function, but it’s always the same ones that end up clearing everything away (the same the whole world over, I think!). Also, not a good tall strong Dinka in sight………

The chairs were returned to their rightful places. All the cups were washed in the laundry and returned to the sack for the next function, all feeling quite pleased with the event.

After a bit of interneting and a few Skype calls, the three of us headed for the market for our two-Sudanese-pound plate of beans and bread. A bit oily today but still tasty, all washed down with a warm Fanta (all we could get). A bit of excitement, I managed to get some double A batteries for my little water sterilising wand (unable to use for the last week).
This is a first for the market – batteries; not sure how long they will last, not quite the Panasonic but are called Panashiba. The stallholder is the same one that had biscuits last week, a Ugandan, so he is bringing in different goods, not sure how the locals will take it.

On our walk back to the compound, many people are heading to the football field to watch the girls play for their final World Cup game, then the final boys’ game. It has been running for the last 4 weeks and the Bishop was going to be there to present the trophies.

After a little bit of ‘I am tired, such a busy week, could do with a rest’, we decided to head on up to the field too. E---- is wearing shorts and her flip flops, P---- is in thin shoes and ¾ pants, Sister P is in her skirt and sandals, I am wearing pants and my light sneakers. No hats at all. The sun is beating down, about 40C at 4pm. When we arrive there are about 500 people, mostly children + the Bishop, all waiting for the girls’ teams to come on to the field.

Suddenly, one of the brothers who had been doing most of the arranging is waving to us to come over to the table where the trophies are. There is a problem, only one team has arrived!!!!!

We are 8 they are 8 so ......... guess who played the goal keeper for Australia in the World Cup???!! You would have been proud of me, girls. Pauline was in the action too, running away from the ball mainly!!! She said that they did reduce the size of the pitch for us to half size.

There was a bit of a problem, apart of course from the fact that we were not fit - no good footwear or clothes, some of us old, and we did not know who was on our side. The 8 Sudanese were good players, so they were split up 4 and 4, but no one was wearing a strip, it was difficult to kick the ball to a member of your team when you were not sure who was who!!

It was Australia V Sudan (Pauline was on the Sudanese side, traitor!!)
When Brother asked who wanted to be goalie I put my hand up, thinking I will be reasonably safe. I thought at least I will not have to run (which I can’t), but there again, I can’t dive for the ball or kneel down (due to two knee replacements a few years ago).

None of us had water with us, as we had none running in the compound that morning, so our bottles were empty.

We all ran on to the field singing OI! OI! OI! OI!.......or however it goes. The Bishop follows to toss the coin, pose for photos with ‘Australia v Sudan’, and the game begins.

There must have been about 50 kids around my goal telling me where to stand, so I am dancing backwards and forwards, just how they do on the telly. Then, suddenly, the ball is coming, and this very tall Dinka girl is thundering down the pitch towards me, I am terrified when with one almighty thud she kicks the ball....... right over the goal! I live to fight another day.

The game continues, I save two, pure chance. By now P---- is limping, Sister Pauline thinks she has broken her toe. One Dr is so red in the face I think she is going to have a heart attack. The whistle goes for half time. Still no water, we must be mad.
Brother, Father and the Bishop + the entire crowd think this is the best entertainment since sliced bread. No, can’t say that - they don’t have sliced bread! Anyway, the crowd has now reached about 700 (not my numbers) - word has got out that the Sisters from the hospital are playing.

Whistle blows for next half. Bit quiet at my end of the pitch, so I have got the crowd to start shouting, ‘Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!!’ It does not help, another ball is coming my way, I think the same girl; I duck for cover and the ball just misses the net. YES!!
The whistle blows, end of game, no goals, Sudan 0 Australia 0.

I start to walk off. The ref blows his whistle and announces there will be a penalty shoot off!!!! No one told me about this!

By now everyone is running towards my goal area, they are on the pitch, down the side. All jostling for the best position to see the action. I am getting instructions from every one. In Dinka. The players were all lined up in front to take it in turn to shoot. I think - 'this is not a profession I would choose in another life!'

So, five times the other goalie and I have to face the ball.

It’s all a blur, but it goes a bit like this: first ball hits my left shin no goal, second ball misses the goal, and third ball goes in. Sudan 1 Australia 0.
Fourth ball, I bat it with my hand – saved! Sudan misses, and now 1-1.
Last ball hits my left shin again, but goes in. Sudan wins 2-1, what a game!!

The bishop really enjoyed it - called it ‘the best entertainment he had seen for a long time’, he also said something about sportsmanship, willing to give things a go, being part of the team.

The provincial governor was there and other dignitaries from Rumbek, all talking about how the World Cup has brought people together and there has been less violence during the 4 weeks than any other time (not sure about that....see my shins!!!). That people are beginning to enjoy peace and are finding other ways to settle disputes. I do hope it is all true and it will continue.

We were all so tired, we went home before the football cup presentations. But not before the bishop gave out the participation certificates to all our 7 cleaning teams at the hospital, and presented the shield to the Children’s ward.

No comments:

Post a Comment